[Mageia-dev] Various proposals around backports and other media management

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Oct 18 14:52:44 CEST 2010

Le lundi 18 octobre 2010 à 15:09 +0300, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> On Wednesday 06 October 2010 09:44:37 Samuel Verschelde wrote:
> > Le mercredi 6 octobre 2010 00:06:41, Buchan Milne a écrit :
> > > As long as it doesn't take the focus off the development release. In
> > > Mandriva, I think there were some uploads to backports before the
> > > upload to cooker, which can cause problems for users if not corrected.
> >
> > Indeed. I think that the current policy already tries to enforce that. Those
> > uploads to backports before upload to cooker were mistakes.
>
> What about when cooker is in freeze?

If we are in freeze, I would try to focus our ressources on bug fixing.
Having to wait for a backport never caused much troubles. Not fixing a
bug in a new version we try to mark as stable is much more problematic,
IMHO.

Alternatively, a system like Fedora and Debian have would maybe lessen
the issue.

Ie, once you decide to freeze, you fork the distribution, but you don't
label it as stable.

Then cooker/cauldron is updated as usual, and only bugfixes are pushed
to the forked distribution, before it got labeled as stable. And we can
imagine to even have backport pushed to this distribution.

See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_Frozen_Rawhide_Proposal and the various
debian wiki pages for testing/unstable relation, and the policy after a
freeze.

--
Michael Scherer