[Mageia-dev] maintainer groups

Luca Berra bluca at vodka.it
Mon Oct 25 19:29:18 CEST 2010

this is a suggestion i already made with mandriva but it landed nowhere,
let's try again.

At the moment we have 1to1 relationship in all tools between maintainer
and package. But for some packages we have more than one people willing
to work on that package. Besides, for some critical package it may be
useful having more than one person responsible for it.
Also someone might be interested in helping on package foo, but feels
too much inexperienced to take full reponsability for it. Peer review is
important.

The idea is not associating a package with a single maintainer, but
associate each package to a maintainer-group, say
NAME at packages.mageia.org, and let maintainers subscribe to package
maintenance.

this would result that in case a ticket is opened in bugzilla vs
package, all interested parties would be notified, and start working on
a solution. (this might require a bit of coordination, but maybe just
assigning the bug to a real person is enough to note someone is taking
care of the problem)

In this case a package will become unmaintained if no-one is subscribed
to the group.

we could even use refint_nothing in ldap to redirect
NAME at packages.mageia.org to unmaintained at packages.mageia.org when noone
is subscribed to a package.

Regards,
L.